- Frostbite (passive); When you hit someone with one of Ymirs abilities, your basic attacks do 50% more damage to that target. (This is the reason for going AD Ymir, and it works realy well).
- Ice Wall; You summon an wall of ice, that can only be leaped over (so hold on to it until your enemy gods leap are on cooldown, if they have any). It works best in the jungle when chasing enemies. Needs a little training to pull it of perfectly, but when you do it's a handy tool. I usually spend one point at lvl 3 anl max it last.
- Glacial Strike; This is Ymirs damage ability, that does magic damage in a frontal line and slows. There is a little delay on the damage, so it is best to use it in combination with frost breath or antisipating where the enemy is going. I usually max this second.
- Frost Breath; This Ymirs ace in the hole, you freeze the enemy in place (and even do some magic damage). With this ability you can set up ganks for junglers, give your carry a easy target etc. And it is awesome for saving your friends (and yourself). This will be your most used spell and I allways max this first. I really can't state how good this abilyti is, if you use it as you should.
- Shards of Ice; Ymirs ultimate have to be the hardest hitting ability in the game. If you go pure MP this ability onehits everything with its (+200% of your MP). But it got a channeling time on 3 sec, so it can easily be awoided. This ability also needs some training to pull of, but when you do, you will wreck face with it. The best way to use it is in teamfights or if you are chasing someone in the jungle, and block their path with a ice wall and BAM! shards of ice to the face.
Here is my reason for the items I have picked
- Reinforced Boots; because the protection is nice for tanking
- Aegis Amulet; because of the protection, 20 physical and magical protection is quite alot at the start of the game. And the active can be useful in some situations.
- Wall of Absolution; because of the mana (Ymir has low mana pool), physical protection and the passive is nice in combination with Shards of ice.
- Void Stone; because of the magic protection, magic power and the passive is awesome in combination with Shards og ice.
- Voidblade; because of the physical protection, physical power and the passive is great for when you are laning with a AD carry.
- Purification Beads; because it is great if the opposing team has alot of stuns and other cc.
- Hand of the Gods; because it is great for getting buffs, and taking out minion waves.
- Creeping Curse; because it is awesome in combination with shards of ice.
- Hide ot the Nemean Lion; because of the physical protection, health and the passive is awesome aginst artemis or bakasura for instance, and other AD gods that relys on basic attacks.
- The Executioner; because it is great if you are going AD Ymir, the attack speed is nice in combination with frost breath and the passive is awesome.
- Doom Orb; because it gives you a nice boost to magic power if you are going MP (and are doing well of course).
- Rod of Tahuti; because it gives you alot of magic power if you are going MP.
- Mystical Mark; because it gives you some more physical protection, and you get some aoe consistent damage (yes pelase).
- Polinomicon; becasue you get a quite alot of MP, you get magical lifesteal (awesom in combination with shards of ice) and the passive makes you hit alot harder in combination with Ymirs passive.
There is of course some other items that can be useful, but i tend to go with something like this.
In the start I usually buy Reinforced Boots and Aegis Amulet (for the magic and physical defense), three healing potions and one mana potion because Ymir is running out of mana realy quick.
If our team don't have a jungler I usually go with Hand of the Gods instead of Aegis Amulet and four healing potions and take blue buff, and just use Hand of the Gods on the minion waves. (This I would say is the best way to play Ymir).
This way cou can go for blue and green buff when your lane is empty, so you don't need to leav your carry to go back for mana etc. And you can engage enemy gods and pop Hand of the Gods on the minion wave and suddenly they are all alone and you just freez them and your carry (and your minions) does the rest.
The first thing you have to do when you go back to base is to deside if you are going to get the reinforced boots, Void Sone or Wall of Absolution. This would be if your opposing gods are all AD or MP. Or if your lane is wrecking face and you don't have any problem staying alive it could be nice with the MP boost from Void Stone for Shards of ice. (I usually don't go back to base before i have about 3500g, if the game is going well).
If everything goes well you should have gotten a few kills (if your carry is polite and gives you some kills). And you should be able to bye reinforced boots, void stone and wall of absolution.
If your lane is doing well, you can start looking for some easy kills mid. Just run to mid, freeze, do some damage and hopefully with some help from mid you get a kill.